The State of Texas requires new students, transfer students, and returning students following a break in enrollment of at least one fall or one spring semester to receive a Bacterial Meningitis Shot. In compliance with SB 1107, students who attend an institution of higher education must receive the Bacterial Meningitis vaccination no later than 10 days before the first day of the term. Vaccinations must have been received or renewed within the last 5 years. Proof must be submitted to:
Seminary of the Southwest
Office of Enrollment
501 E. 32nd St.
Austin, TX 78705
Evidence of Vaccination must verify that the vaccination was received at least 10 days prior to the first day of the semester and must be submitted in one of the following four formats:
1. A complete Evidence of Vaccination against Bacterial Meningitis Form. Use this form if you plan to obtain your vaccination somewhere other than your personal physician's office.
2. A document bearing the signature or stamp of the physician or his/her designee, or public health personnel (must include the month, day, and year the vaccination was administered).
3. An official immunization record generated from a state or local health authority (must include the month, day, and year the vaccination was administered).
4. An official record received from school officials, including a record from another state (must include the month, day, and year the vaccination was administered).
The legislation exempts students who:
· Are 30 years of age or older by the first day of the start of the term.
· Enroll only in 100% online or other distance education courses.
· Enroll in a continuing education course or program that is less than 360 contact hours.
· Submit an affidavit or certificate signed by a duly licensed physician that states, in the physician’s opinion, that the vaccination would be injurious to the health and well-being of the student.
· Submit an affidavit signed by the student stating that the student declines the vaccination for reason of conscience, including religious belief. A conscientious exemption form (“Affidavit Request for Exemption from Immunizations for Reasons of Conscience”) from the Texas Department of State Health Services.
Seminary of the Southwest students who are currently enrolled and plan to return for the 2012 spring semester will not be required to submit proof of vaccination.